Residents' Frequently Asked Questions

When is rent due?

The rent is due on the first of the month. If the rent is not posted in our office by the fifteenth day of the month, we will serve you with a 48 hour notice of eviction.

I am an excellent resident and take good care of the home. Can you waive my late charges?

No. We do not waive late charges. Fair Housing laws require that we treat all our residents equally. We cannot decide if one resident is more deserving than another of paying late charges, therefore we enforce late charges across the board.

What is the Resident Login?

This is a menu option that allows our residents to:

  • access their account activity online
  • submit and monitor work orders online
  • pay rent online with a credit or debit card or draft their checking/savings account

If you would like to sign up for the Resident Login, choose the correct link below and follow the sign up process.

If you would like to sign up for the Resident Login, choose the correct link below and follow the sign up process.

Russell Property Management Resident Login Holly Glen Apartments Resident Login

I don’t want to make a Resident account, but still want to pay my rent online.

Pay rent online without an account.

How do I report a maintenance item?

For normal non-urgent maintenance items please email, mail or fax your written request. Be sure to provide us with the best possible time to reach you. If the item is urgent and it is during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), you may call our office at (252) 329-7368 to report the problem, or print and fax our form. You may also submit maintenance requests through our Resident Login and monitor the progress of the work through this login. You have to register with the Resident Login first and this takes about twelve hours to process your request. To report emergency maintenance needs be sure the receptionist is informed that you have a maintenance emergency. If it is after business hours, call the office, follow the voice mail instructions and you will be transferred to our answering service. For police or fire emergencies, dial 911 before calling us.

What is considered an emergency?

The following are examples of maintenance emergencies:

  • The main sewer line is backed up.
  • A pipe broke and water is leaking into the home.
  • There was a break-in and you have an unsecured entrance to the home.

If you lock yourself out of your home, you will need to call a lock smith, we do not unlock homes after normal business hours. For true emergencies, call our office at (252) 329-7368 and follow the voice mail prompts to connect to our answering service.

Can I be charged for maintenance at the property?

Yes, if resident damage or neglect causes the maintenance, you will be charged for it. Also, you can be billed for a service call if you miss an appointment with one of our maintenance contractors.

Can I install cable or satellite TV at the property?

Generally, yes. However, you must first obtain written permission from Russell Property Management. At some units you may be prohibited from installing a satellite dish in any location where the dish is visible from the ground or from any other unit in the area. Any cost of installation is an expense of the resident.

Can I install extra telephone lines?

Generally, yes. However, you must also obtain written permission from Russell Property Management to do this. All costs of installing extra phone lines are the responsibility of the resident.

What are my rights to privacy if the landlord wants to enter the property?

We will call you and also give you a written notice if we need to enter the home. All maintenance appointments are scheduled with you in advance.

What are my responsibilities if my company transfers me before the end of the lease?

Most leases are for a set period of time. If you are transferred, ask your company what assistance they will provide if you need to “break a lease”. Let your property manager know what is happening as soon as possible so we can begin marketing the property for a replacement resident. Please refer to our policy on early termination of Residential agreement, which you signed at lease signing for more details.

Can I sub-lease the property?

RPM does not permit sub-leasing a property. If a tenant is in a current lease and the tenant desires to break their lease, RPM will assist the current tenant in finding a new tenant for the property. The current tenant is responsible for the monthly rent until a new lease is signed or the end of the current tenant’s lease period, whichever occurs first. The current tenant may be responsible for some/all turn costs incurred as a result of the lease break.

Can I get a pet after move-in?

You should contact the office prior to obtaining a pet.

When and how should I give my notice to vacate?

It is important to refer to your lease for the specific terms in your own residential agreement. In most leases, notice to vacate must be received in our office in writing on or before the 1st of the month. Most leases require a minimum 30-day notice and run for a full monthly period.

Can I rent a steam cleaner and clean the carpets myself when I move out?

No. Your rental agreement provides that all carpets must be professionally cleaned using a steam process, with a copy of the invoice submitted to your property manager at check out. If you prefer, Russell Property Management can arrange to have the carpet cleaned. Contact the office regarding the charge to do this but it’s usually much less expensive that what you will pay a commercial carpet cleaning company.

What happens if my roommate moves out before the end of the lease?

If your roommate moves out, a written notice needs to be submitted to us. Remember that tenants are jointly and singularly liable to ensure that the rent is paid. You must have written permission from us to substitute a roommate. (It is not our responsibility to arbitrate or mediate problems with multiple tenant situations).

What happens to the disposition of a roommate’s security deposit after move-out?

Security deposits are collected as “security” for the property. Reimbursements to departing roommates are handled by the remaining tenants. No portion of the security deposit will be refunded individually.